Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I guess you'd call this a tribute.

Sorry for not keeping up as well as usual - we have been experiencing some sickness issues here in the Llama house. But that is not what this is about.

Today is The Army Guy's birthday. And he will spend it on a plane to Kuwait. This is his second deployment to Iraq, and his third deployment in six years. While I'm grateful for his sacrifice and I know that without him and other people like him, this country would not be as protected as it is... I'd really just rather have my brother home.

He'll be home by October 2009, we hear.

Let me tell you about him. He's 25 (today!). He's my first younger brother (I have three). When we were kids, we were awful to each other. When we were in high school, we were even more awful to each other. Something changed after I moved out and we realized that our shared history was not normal (which is a subject for another post). We got to know each other as people, rather than as "older sister - younger brother," and it's the best thing that ever happened.

He is generous to a fault and believes deeply in serving his community. In addition to being in the National Guard, he is a volunteer firefighter and an EMT. He works for an ambulance service when he's home.

He's kind and sweet. He has a four-year-old son, Z-man, and a wife, Frenchy. Z-man looks just like him when we were little. It's almost eerie. When I look at him, I feel like I'm looking at The Army Guy 20 years ago.

I'm lucky to have a person like him in my life. I'm even luckier that we share 50% of our DNA.

Be safe, buddy. And happy birthday!

No comments: