Saturday, February 28, 2009
So Llama decided to celebrate for me by waking up at about the time that the bars close, just to remind me that at one point in my life, I stayed up until 2am. Then she decided to celebrate for me again at about 4:30am. I think she was reminding me that there were nights in my life that I stayed up 'til then, too. Only that was when I was doing my undergraduate research project and getting ready to present it at a conference. I guess I'm thankful for the reminder that I used to survive on a lot less sleep and be happy about it because I chose it. I was not quite as fun at 2am as I used to be, and I wasn't half as intelligent at 4:30am as I was five years ago.
Despite this being a "break," I'm working on two different group presentations that are due immediately following the break. I'm meeting people to work on one of them today. Even though we have tickets to the Home and Garden Show (I'm posting from Bucket's laptop because ours is otherwise occupied, so I can't hyperlink you because I have to use Firefox instead of IE and I just don't get it) which is a really cool thing and I really want to go. Actually, I just checked, and I thought this was the last weekend and it turns out it's the first weekend, so we can go tomorrow or next weekend and it'll still be okay. I guess I'm not so annoyed about that after all. So on with the projects! I have to meet the other group on Monday to do the other project.
Completely unrelatedly and without a good segue, I found out yesterday that I am not the best mom ever. I'm sure that's very surprising to you, right? I took Llama to get some summer shoes. Mostly because I like shoes a lot and baby shoes are so cute. Except that I had jammed her feet into her last shoes (purchased in December), which were a full size too small and had left marks in her little feet. So it wasn't a "Mama likes shoes, let's look around" kind of day, it was a "Mama is awful, let's find some new shoes so you can wear them home" kind of day. Who knew she could outgrow shoes so quickly? I will consider this a lesson.
Llama wasn't a fan of getting her feet measured, though. She growled at the lady. Not a cute little growl, a warning growl. She's learned that from the cat, who alternately stalks her and growls at her to steal her food. I have no idea how to stop a ten-and-a-half month old from growling.
And with that, my little sweetheart is growling at me to get her breakfast. Have a good day!
Friday, February 27, 2009
44 odd things about you! If you opened this, FILL IT OUT! Learn 44 things about your friends, and let them learn 44 things about you.
1. Do you like Bleu Cheese? It's okay.
2. Have you ever been drunk? Yes.
3. Do you own a gun? No.
4.What flavor of Kool Aid was your favorite? The color-changing one.
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? It depends on what it's for, I guess.
6. What do you think of hot dogs? I don't think of hot dogs, actually.
7. Favorite Christmas movie? Die Hard, duh.
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Hot tea at home, Starbucks Caramel Macchiato if I'm on the run.
9. Can you do push ups? Girly ones.
10. What's your favorite piece of jewelry? I have so many. Bucket is really good in the sparkly department. My engagement ring, I suppose.
11. Favorite hobby? Again, I have so many. In the winter, I like to read or be crafty. In the summer, I like to play in my flowers or take Llama for long walks.
12. Do you have A.D.D.? Not diagnosed, but I have my suspicions.
13. What's your favorite shoe? The right one. :p No, really, I have a kickass pair of black heels that are my favorite right now. They have little bows on them.
14. Middle name? Dawn.
15. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment? This is really three questions. 1) Mickey Mouse Clubhouse has crappy animation. 2) My head hurts. 3) How am I going to take a shower while Llama is awake so that I can meet my friend for lunch?
16. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink? Again, this is three questions. 1) Water 2) Tea 3) White wine. Riesling is preferred.
17. Current worry? That I won't get Llama's birthday party planned in time and I'll be rushing and it won't be as fun as it should be.
18. Current hate right now? Headaches.
19. What do you wish for in the coming year? Am I supposed to be hoping for 2009 or 2010? It's late in February, so... anyway, I'll just say that I hope we have an easy road.
20. How did you bring in the New Year? With friends.
21. Where would you like to go? This is a very vague question. To Heaven? To Florida? To lunch? All of those places.
22. Name three people who will complete this? Meh, whomever is interested in doing it will do it.
23. Do you own slippers? If you know me well at all, you know that slippers and pajama pants are my very favorite things to receive as gifts, so yes, I have slippers.
24. What color shirt are you wearing right now? Blue.
25. Do you like sleeping on Satin sheets? No.
26. Can you whistle? Yes, are there people who can't?
27. Favorite color? Navy blue.
28. Would you be a pirate? Sure, why not? Now I have a Ray Stevens song in my head. "I want to sing and dance, I want to sing and dance, I want to be a pirate in the Pirates of Penzance. With the silver buckled slippers and the bright and shiny pants... I want to sing and dance!"
29. What songs do you sing in the shower? Depends on the day and what's in my head. As illustrated above, I even know weird and obscure song lyrics.
30. Favorite Girl's Name? If I told you that, I'd tell you Llama's name. The runner-up for her name was Allison, and that was my addition to the baby naming list. Bucket named Llama, but it totally fits her and I can't imagine her as anyone else, so her name is my favorite.
31. Favorite boy's name? Since we may have a little guy sometime in the future, I won't tell you that either. It's one of my brothers' names, Bucket's confirmation name, and his grandfather's name. There, if you know us well, you can guess.
32. What's in your pocket right now? No pockets in yoga pants.
33. Last thing that made you laugh? Bucket mocking me for eating a cupcake for my midnight snack.
34. Best bed sheets as a child? I had the New Kids on the Block bed sheets, thank you very much.
35. Worst injury you've ever had as a child? As a child... hmm. I cut my pinky toe off on my left foot. It's reattached.
36. Do you love where you live? I like my house, I hate my neighborhood, and I love the people in my house. How's that for a non-answer.
37. Do you walk around the house naked? Like just hang out? No. I walk from my room to the shower naked, but it's not really "walking around."
38. Who is your loudest friend? This is an odd question. When I'm with a particular group of friends, we're all loud.
39. How many dogs do you have? One.
40. Does someone have a crush on you? That would be quite a situation, since I'm married and all. But if anyone does, they haven't said anything. Probably because I'm married. I'm going to choose to believe there are people all over the place with huge crushes on me who are just not coming forward out of respect for the sanctity of marriage. :p
41. What is your favorite book? Today, it's Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy. I read a lot of books, but none for leisure right now, and I love so many books that I can't choose one favorite.
42. What is your favorite candy? Truffles from Sarris'
43. Favorite Sports Team? Any pro team from Pittsburgh. Penn State for college football.
44. What song do you want played at your funeral? "Any Way You Want It," by Journey. I'm NOT kidding.
Thursday, February 26, 2009
About Bucket and me:
1. What are your middle names? Mine is Dawn, he doesn't have one.
2. How long have you been together? Nine years in November. Married for four years in October.
3. How long did you know each other before you started dating? We were kind of dating from the beginning, I guess. Sort of? It's complicated. It was college. Everything was complicated.
4. Who asked who out? Again, it's complicated. We both had dates to this party that we were going to together and ended up ditching our dates. We repeated that for my sorority banquet. There was never a moment where anyone said, "Hey, would you like to go out on Friday?" or anything like that.
5. How old were you when you met? I was 18 and he was 22. It was an issue for him because I'm slightly younger than his sister. He felt like a cradle robber.
6. Whose siblings do you see the most? We live closer to one of his sisters (Hawaiian Punch) so we see her weekly. My brother Wolfman comes to visit about once a month.
7. Do you have any children together? Yes, Llama will be one in April!
8. What about pets? Darby (dog) and Pumpkin (the meanest cat in America).
9. Which situation is the hardest on you as a couple? Does anybody really want a real answer to this question? No, and I'm not willing to give one. I'll say that it frustrates me that he takes off his clothes as he walks in the door and so there is a trail of shoes, pants, shirt through the living room.
10. Did you go to the same school? No
11. Are you from the same town? No
12. Who is the smartest? Silly question. He's a super genius about the things he likes. I'm a super genius about the things I like. We are both very smart people.
13. Who is the most sensitive? Me.
14. Where do you eat out most as a couple? Um, the Eat'n'Park at the bottom of the hill or Chili's, I guess.
15. Where is the farthest you have traveled as a couple? Disney World.
16. Do you know each other's exes? We're acquainted.
17. Who has the worst temper? Me.
18. Who does the cooking? We share. He cooks on Wednesday nights (hey, I got cheated last night!) and Sunday mornings.
19. Who is more social? Me.
20. Who is the neat freak? Neither of us, which is a problem since we both like to live in a clean, neat house.
21. Who is more stubborn? Him.
22. Who hogs the bed? Him. It's a problem being a foot shorter than someone.
23. Who wakes up earlier? On weekdays, him, because he gets to work early. On weekends, me, because I'm still getting up at the same time I get up every day.
24. Where was your first date? We watched a movie (The Music Man) and had pizza together at his house. I fell in love with him that day because he sang along with it.
25. Who has the bigger family? I have more siblings, he has a bigger extended family.
26. Do you get flowers often? No.
27. What is your favorite holiday tradition? In general or together, hmm? In general, I love to go to midnight Mass. Together, I really had a good time last year with Christmas morning at our house. We made breakfast and my brothers came, Llama and Z-man opened a million toys... it was really a good time.
28. Who is more jealous? That's probably equal, but he hides it better.
29. Who does the laundry? Me. I wash, fold, iron, hang... and I put mine and Llama's away and leave his on his side of the bed. He usually puts them on the floor and I get annoyed.
30. Who is better with the computer? When you're married to an electrical engineer who also minored in computer engineering, you will never be better with the computer. I'm okay with that.
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
A - Age: 27
B - Bed size: Queen
C - Chore you hate: Cat litter box
D - Dad's Name: Norris
E - Essential start your day item: Hot tea in the winter, iced tea in the summer
F - Favorite actor(s): Patrick Dempsey, I guess. I don't really follow actors per se.
G - Gold or Silver: White gold or silver
H - Height: I say I'm 5'4 but I'm really 5'3.
I - Instruments you play(ed): Violin, piano, bass drum (those I played well), trumpet, flute, clarinet, and saxophone (not well).
J - Job title: Stay at home mom and graduate student
K - Kid(s): Llama, 10 months
L - Living arrangements: Brick ranch house with Bucket and Llama
M - Mom's name: Susan
N - Nicknames: I don't really have any.
O - Overnight hospital stay other than birth: My birth or Llama's? Other than that, for an asthma attack when I was in elementary school.
P - Pet peeve: Ooh, I have a lot. Lateness, odd numbers, dirty dishes in the kitchen sink, dog-eared book pages - that's just a few of them. Ask Bucket, he'll tell you it's hellish to live with me.
Q - Quotes you like: "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints..." ~ Billy Joel
R - Right or left handed: Ambidextrous
S - Siblings: Three brothers, Donald, Patrick, and Michael
T - Time you wake up: Last night I got up at 1:45, 4:00, 6:00, and I got up for the day at 6:45.
U - Umbrella...do you have one? Yes, I have a couple, but I don't know where they are.
V - Vegetable you dislike: Green beans
W - Ways you run late: Llama makes me late sometimes, Bucket makes me late more times. If I'm on my own and left to my own devices, I'll be on time.
X - X-rays you've had: Good Lord, do you really think I can list those? I'll try. Teeth, both ankles, left knee, left leg hip to toes, chest, both arms shoulder to fingers, left wrist, skull. I'm accident prone.
Y - Yummy food you make: Everything I make is good, in my opinion. If you don't like it, you can cook your own. :p
Z - Zodiac: Scorpio
Monday, February 23, 2009
1. Heather needs two therapists. (And yet I don't even have one.)
2. Heather needs something more to be satisfied--preferably Pierre with that tall, dark, mouth-watering body of his... (I mean, I'll take Pierre, but Bucket will probably be upset.)
3. Heather needs to Grow Up. (But it would be so boring if I did.)
4. Heather needs a childhood. (It's a little late now, I think.)
5. Heather needs men now! (No, thanks, I'm good in the man department.)
6. Heather needs to start wearing a brassiere. (I am currently wearing one, thankyouverymuch.)
7. Heather needs some Body... Guards. (I guess so, but I'm not all that famous.)
8. Heather needs Gatorade. (Actually, I don't like it. I'd rather have water.)
9. Heather needs a family. (I have more than one family and I like it that way.)
10. Gah! Heather needs HELP!! (Always.)
Tomorrow, I think I will give you "25 Things," but maybe not the same 25 that I put on Facebook.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Monday, February 16, 2009
First shot: Llama is happy. Tuna Roll is ramping up to be unhappy.
Second shot: (Somehow I missed the shot where Tuna Roll had her own binky. Sorry, I thought I had it). Anyway, Llama just jacked her cousin's pacifier right out of Tuna Roll's mouth.
Third shot: I took the binky back from Llama and returned it to the rightful owner. Unhappiness ensued.
Fourth and final shot: Everyone is happy, except Llama's making a break for it. Hawaiian Punch was making this goofy face behind me that Llama loves, and Llama had plans to get to her aunt immediately to grab that face.
Saturday, February 14, 2009
I gave Llama a yellow cupcake with white frosting the other day. It was the first one she ever had. I went to grab the camera to document what was surely going to be an adorable little face covered in icing, hands full of cake crumbs, and a big happy grin. Instead I came back (in less than 15 seconds) to an empty tray, clean hands, and only a small smudge of icing on her nose. SHE ATE THE WHOLE THING. I think she might have unhinged her jaw like a snake and swallowed it in its entirety, I'm not sure.
Also, we've had a nasty little stomach bug that Bucket brought home from work for us. Llama got to experience Jello, Sprite, Pedialyte, and spending the day with Grandma while Mommy and Daddy slept and hoped to die. She is a big fan of Jello and Sprite, an even bigger fan of spending the day with Grandma, and she hates Pedialyte. But now if she sees you drink anything from a real cup, especially if she has any suspicion that it might be Sprite (meaning it came from the fridge, like most drinks do), she wants to taste it. Llama is adept at drinking from a cup if you hold it for her, and she's working on holding it for herself. I'm pretty sure the motivation is that she thinks she could get more Sprite if she drank it from a Big Girl Cup.
So, Sprite and cupcakes are clearly on my girl's list of favorite things. Just like her mama.
Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day. Look what Llama can do!
Also, she can drive a fire truck. It's an impressive talent for such a young girl.
I cannot believe that in two months and three days, she's going to be a year old. No sappiness! None! I'm just going to keep that to myself and save it up for her birthday.
Enjoy your romance, or whatever it is that you're doing to celebrate today. I'm getting furniture!
Saturday, February 7, 2009
- The Steelers won the Super Bowl! (Welcome to Sixburgh!)
- At the Super Bowl party, I took an awesome series of pictures with Llama and Tuna Roll. Everything started great. Llama was smiling and Tuna Roll was calm. (Picture one on Hawaiian Punch's camera.) Then Tuna Roll got upset, so we put a pacifier in her mouth. (Picture two, my camera.) Then Llama stole Tuna Roll's pacifier. (Picture three.) Then we took the pacifier away from Llama and gave it back, so Llama was upset and Tuna Roll was calm. (Picture four.) You can't see the pictures yet because...
- Bucket went to Nowheresville, Nevada, where cell phones don't even work and there was no hotel. He had to stay in a trailer on the job site and the water smelled like sulfur so he didn't want to shower because he was afraid he'd smell worse afterwards. He'll be home tonight. He took my camera with him, though, before I took the Super Bowl series off of it.
- I took two tests in two different classes and aced them.
- Llama got roseola.
Life in the Llama house has been slightly insane these past few days. Pictures will be forthcoming.
The all-important First Birthday Party is scheduled for April 11. Invitations will also be forthcoming, but not until the end of February or early March. The first week of March is my Spring Break, so count on it then.